Saturday, June 28, 2008

So, How Many Cows Are You Worth?

So today, Simon and Steven, the local directors for YWAM Soroti, were here at the Amecet base and they were looking “smart”. Now when I arrived to Uganda, I thought that looking smart meant that I looked intelligent, however here, its means to look handsome/beautiful and virtually anyone who dresses up in nice clothes “looks smart”. So I asked Simon and Steve what the occasion was for being dressed up, and they said that they were headed to a traditional marriage.
Here came the next question, what is a traditional marriage here in Uganda? In a traditional marriage, the groom and his family are introduced to society along with the bride’s family, while the bride is kept locked up in a house near by. They go into a meeting room and they bargain for hours on the price of the bride, that’s right, the price of the bride. So while this seemed like some sort of legalized slavery, I asked what the going rate was for a bride which led to a whole separate shock. “About seven cows,” was the answer. “Seven cows? You mean they buy the bride with cows?” This was their concept of a dowry. Steve saw my shocked look and said “well not only cows, there are goats, and camels, and donkeys…” and so on and so on as he listed the different animals that were considered dowry worthy.
They continued to explain that once the groom and his family had settled on the number of cows/livestock wanted for the bride, then the bride and groom were given permission to marry. Sometimes, however, they never settle on the number, and there is no wedding. “But they marry for love?” I injected. “Of course, Apapero.” (Apapero is my new Ateso name which I am convinced means crazy muzungu, but they assure me it means friendly one.) His assurance gave me some sort of peace of mind, then chuckling, he looked back at me and asked “Apapero, so, how many cows are you worth?”
Well dad? How many cows? I am hoping you say that you wouldn’t settle for less than ten camels, but hey – that’s your bargain.


Till next time,
Wondering about her worth in cows,
Lauren

No comments: